To identify potential opportunities for early bearing failure, MSI performed experimental modal analysis (EMA) and operational deflection shape (ODS) tests on a prototype unit for the manufacturer. The results showed locations where increased stiffness would extend bearing life.
- Problem Statement (Challenge)
- What (type of machine): Street Sweeper
- Where (State/ Country): Illinois
- Why (problem/reason): Identify modes that could cause premature bearing failures
- Work Performed
- Results/ Solution
- Findings: Mode was identified within 15% of 2x engine running speed, represented a significant risk of resonance condition that could result in vibration related bearing reliability issues.
- Impact: Addition of cladding was recommended to increase the separation margins from the operating speed to values greater than 15%. The proposed modifications provide a practical level of protection relative to vibration related bearing reliability issues.